Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pretty in Plum

So here it is. The long awaited post with some of my first DIY projects. As I previously mentioned, I have only been in my new apartment for a little over a month now, and two weeks of that month was spent in my parents' camper during the Fair. Needless to say, I feel like I am just now beginning to get a handle on some of my projects. I have FINALLY had some time to start working on my rooms, and my bathroom just came together last night. I'm still not sure if it's completely done, but then again, what room ever is? I am pretty happy with it for the time being. I will say that the canvas hanging up is not at all what I had originally planned. My paint was not cooperating with me, it was windy outside, etc. Basically, the canvases ended up being a "mistake that turned out ok" project.


The paint color on the walls is an "oops" gray paint I found at Lowe's for $5/gallon. Holla!! The square I painted on my wall looked MUCH lighter then when I painted an entire wall, but after I finished and put it all together, I really like the results. Especially for $2.50 (I only used half the gallon).




This is an upclose of the canvases that I painted. It cost me $7 for a pack of 2 at Hobby Lobby, and the acrylic paint cost me $2 per bottle (I used 3) at Michael's. I ended up thinning out the paint a lot with water before I started painting the "circles" (that's what they were originally supposed to be - they ended up being random swirls though) because the paint was super thick and not coming out as well as I needed it to. This caused splatters to start forming, so I went with it and just splattered the heck out of both pieces. I actually kind of like the look it gives it.



I have never been one to leave any extra toilet paper out in plain sight (I am an organizational FREAK and it drives me bonkers), but now that I live by myself, I have no one to yell at for another roll of toilet paper should I forget to bring one in with me. Talk about inconvienient. So I found this cute little basket at Salvation Army for $.99 and I knew it would be perfect for 2 rolls of toilet paper. It was a darker brown color, so I primed and painted it with Krylon Semi-Gloss White and there you have it. A cute little solution to my occasional would-be toilet paper issues.



Another issue I had was counter top organization. Again, I like things to be accessible but pretty and before this little basket thing, it just looked like a big mass of my "daily need items" in the corner of the counter. I bought this little metal container at Goodwill for $1.99, and spray painted it white. It is perfect for my q-tips, cotton balls, and perfumes that I typically leave out on the counter. I don't know why, but I love it so much more when they are all in the same container - even if it is totally see-through.



So there you have it. My "rental" bathroom transformation. If this was my own bathroom (meaning I owned it and was not renting it) then I would've painted the vanity as well and framed the mirror so it wasn't so "builder grade" quality in there. But alas, I am just a renter. I feel like it's a pretty great tranformation for a little one bedroom apartment though, and can't wait to get started on my other rooms. Completing this room was just what I needed for some SERIOUS motivation to get moving on the other rooms. I am on a stay-cation all next week, so stay tuned for a lot more projects. Here is a little sneak peak at one that I will be working on next.



Have I mentioned that I loooooooove turquoise? No? Well I do. A whole lot. I'm pretty sure that will be painfully evident after I show you some other transformations. Stay tuned. Until then, happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it! With your bathroom already this cute, can't wait to see the rest of your place all decorated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Can't wait to see what kind of AMAZINGNESS you crank out in turquoise!

    ReplyDelete