Thursday, July 8, 2010

"You're not going to start blogging about it too, are you?"

...That's the question my ever so understanding sister asked me when I told her that I have a newfound obsession interest in revamping old furniture and DIY projects. And the answer to that question would be, "Why yes, I think I am". Hi, my name is Jenna, and I am a self proclaimed thrift store junkie. That's right folks. I am, by definition, addicted to finding the latest "treasure" (as my oh so adorable - and occasionally witty - bf calls them). But little does his mocking self know that they will soon become treasures. He's going to wish he would've taken me seriously when I start my own business and retire by the age of 35. Ok, that may be a bit of a lofty goal, but hey - I love to dream.

I also love beautiful things. Like, really, really, really love them. All beautiful things. And I love to design beautiful things. Graphic design. Crafty design. Anything that I can beautify, I love to make it happen. So imagine my joy when I started reading blogs - hundreds of blogs - about women, much like myself, who go to thrift stores, buy really cheap, really ugly unique pieces of furniture and accessories, add some spray paint and other details and make those items look like they walked out of the latest Pottery Barn magazine. I.am.ecstatic. I am even more ecstatic because not only do these "treasures" become marvelous pieces of awesomeness, but they are also C-H-E-A-P. And let's face it. I just graduated from college 2 years ago. And I work for the State. And my school cost a lot (which means big student loan payments). And the transmission in my car is slipping. So although I love to decorate and have beautiful things, my checkbook refuses to let me spend more than a few dollars on a piece of awesomeness unless I want to give up food for the month (which I have seriously debated - I kid you not - I LOVE to decorate). For the past month, I have done nothing but learn every Goodwill and Salvation Army location in the Des Moines metro area and visit them very frequently. I have found numerous "beauties" that I plan on giving a facelift, and so I am here to tell you about it.

But don't get too excited yet. The only piece of actual furniture I have bought so far was an end table. You see, here's the other little piece to the ridiculous awesome puzzle. I am currenlty homeless. Before you get all sympathetic for me and start offering up donations, know that I will aquire a new abode in a week and a half (I think - I'm learning to be flexible and live spontaneously - so far all I've gained  is one giant headache and a storage unit for my massive amounts of stuff). I am in the process of moving out of a 3 bedroom apartment which I shared with 2 other people to a 1 bedroom which gets to be decorated however I want. Can I get a "Whoop Whoop!!"? So while in transition, I don't think it's entirely fair to accumulate a bunch of "treasures" and then have no where to store them (or take them and fill my parents already cluttered house). But I'm keeping my eyes peeled. My trunk in my car currently looks like I robbed a garage sale, and I have started little projets that don't require a truck for hauling. I'll post some pictures as soon as I find my camera which I packed away somewhere (chances are it's at my parents' house about 60 miles south of where I am currently residing - convenient huh?).

Stay tuned for some awesome projects coming your way. Let me know if you're into craftiness as well, and if so, I would love to see what you're working on. You know that feeling that Babe Ruth must've gotten when he knocked yet another one out of the park? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the same feeling I get every time I see something totally awesome that I know I can create myself for a few dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment